Sunday, September 19, 2010

Buh-bye, TV!


This week is "Unplugged Week" at our elementary school.  (Yikes!)  We have committed as a family to a week of no TV, and *limited access* as parents to our phones and computers (life has to go on in some form, you know).  I am looking forward to the challenge, and welcoming more and focused time with my kids and with other priorities.  Yes, I know, that is what I am saying on Sunday night.

And YES, around here on occasion SpongeBob has been on for hours at a time - I admit it!  That being said, I don't think our family has too big of a problem with screen time.  I do think we could be more intentional about our approach.  That is why I am looking forward to hearing Erin Walsh speak to parents at the kick-off event.  Erin Walsh is the daughter of Dr. David Walsh, founder of National Institute on Media and the Family - which is now a part of Search Institute (located right in our backyard, Minneapolis).  Her discussion will be on setting up a balanced media diet for your child, based on the book written by Dr. Walsh No: Why Kids-of All Ages-Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It.  His book is a must-read for all parents.  As in, you should be quizzed on it after leaving the hospital.  Dr. Walsh focuses on the qualities we all want our kids to have - patience, commitment, and perserverence - and offers age-specific advice on how using "no" will help them achieve that, in spite of our instant-gratification, what-you-want-when-you-want-it culture.  I do not believe that TV, computers, or games are inherently evil, but I do believe too much simply crowds out the time and space our kids need to relax, be kids, read, play outside, be creative, be BORED.  And yes, I suppose that applies to adults, too.

So, what will I miss?  A few TV premiers, my news fix, and my Facebook updates.  Oh, and checking my phone every time it tells me I have a new email.  What will I gain?  I will let you know!

Have you tried to be "Unplugged?"  How long?  What did you learn from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment